Yet another (un)success story?

It's been a long time since I previously have been interested in drawing. Yup, one of my unsuccesful hobbies. I have no idea why I'm putting effort to it again. But it seems to be happening that way.

In the early 90's, I created a bird character. It still looks ok to me, but especially what this character is all about intrigued me. Still does.

I sent some of them to a Finnish comic book, Pahkasika (warthog). The level of the drawing quality in Pahkasika had gone down so much so I gathered it was my chance to make it. Well, I was wrong. Thanks but no thanks, and have a great life elsewhere. And all that jazz.

My character made his debut finally in our self-produced cassette recording in 1996. It had a comic strip included in the inside cover. Then my character disappeared in haze.

Last Autumn in Solna, when I hadn't too much to do, I tried again. This time I managed to draw the first coloured version of my character ever, but my interest ran out shortly. At least it had colours now - final colours - that I don't know yet.

This year when I was giving a finishing touch to me-and-my-brother's music quiz project, my bro suggested that this (good) old character could be a mascot for the game. After a looong persuasion of myself I took a pen in my hand and continued with the character. It's there now.

But it didn't end there. For a while, I was planning to put it in the net, but from there it might be too easy to steel. On the other hand, the circulation would be free and world-wide. But I'm doing it in Finnish. Some of the jokes I put in the mouth of my character can't be translated. So much lost in translation to carry on in English, sadly.

I have been dreaming of drawing a comic strip book for years. I had the character, but lacked the substance. Lately I have been writing down some of my new ideas for the character. So even that one might materialize some day. Wouldn't put my money on it, although I may have to, LOL!

What's the name of the character, you may ask. Well, I keep it a secret for now. It will quarantee me a fake feel of security if nothing else. I tried to rename it, but all the new suggestions existed in Google already. Man, I'm beginning to wonder if Google has an algorithm which lists on-the-fly made-up web pages and results to any word you can possibly think of...

The character will have my 'charm' and wit, of course. You decide if that's going to be a success story or not. Yes, still fighting against obscurity. Maybe blogging per se is a sign of mediocrity, brrr, perish the thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment