Oops! They did it again!

I have always been proud of my level of writing in Finnish. Yet I'm the first one to admit that I don't know everything. Still I'm eager to point out a finger at each and every mistake I come across in the printing media. It's partly because in my opinion they should know better their profession. However, for the most part it's because I'm still angry for not being chosen to study to become a reporter at university in Tampere. Decades ago. If they didn't let me in, what about these stupid reporters then? How did they got in, since they clearly don't even know how to write.

Yup, I have blown it as well, with a legendary 'slut station' in my Moved To Sweden blog. I'm not that clean anymore. Remember my two parking tickets from last week for instance. But still. My blog isn't actually a nationwide web tabloid. Come on now!

I have talked about this with Jaime, and he defends those poor bastards. They are so busy and under stress. Well, who isn't? I can understand small errors in a story, but doesn't anyone read and verify those titles? This is disappointing to me. Then again, what isn't, LOL!

To make an exception once more, I have cut a part of the web page to demonstrate my point of view. It's from Iltalehti, a Finnish tabloid which I read from time to time. I had to take a screenshot of it, because they might notice their error and correct it before you are reading this. That would give a stupid impression of me, don't you think?

Take a look at the blue square. It says: "Joka kolmas ilmaseksi katsomossa." That translates to "Every third air sex [happens] in an auditorium [of a football stadium]." Now, isn't that a sensation or what? Wait a minute - air sex - what is that? Is it like playing air guitar, only having air sex? Sex with air - like one of those notorious Michael Jackson's dance manoeuvres, LOL?

Anyway, it should say: "Joka kolmas ilmaiseksi katsomossa." That means "Every third [watching] free of charge in an auditorium [of a football stadium]." Just one 'i' missing and we have a completely new ball game here. And another mean and mocking post by Smek. Come to think of it, maybe I should be forever grateful for these funny mistakes. They kind of make my day. Every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment