Eeny, meeny, miny, moe...

I'm a non-political person. I vote individuals, not parties. In that sense, you might call me an irresponsible voter.

This weekend all the countries inside European Union are voting their candidates for members of European Parliament (MEP). Interest in election varies in different countries between low and very low. They make important decisions over there in Brussels, but the man in the street really has no clue of what's happening. Laws are complex and difficult to find out what they actually tell about.

In my opinion, parties are obsolete. In Finland there is a party for Finland-Swedish people. Is it a left or right wing party? You could say it's in the right because Finland-Swedish are usually loaded. What about the green party? I think it would require a third dimension at least to fit all these modern parties on a scale these days. Why wouldn't a party in the right/left take care of green values? Or do they use it as an excuse to skip all nature-related issues and leave them to the green party?

There is a relatively new and small party, True Finns. I don't like their extreme right-wing attitude by some of them, but at least they are talking in a way I comprehend. Just to be a bitch, I thought to vote them this weekend. If I manage to get myself to vote, that is. I have several reasons.

  • I don't want to give my vote to the center party. The prime minister has lost my trust some time ago.

  • I don't want to vote social democrats. I hate their chairwoman's attitude. Also the president gives me the creeps nowadays.

  • Nor do I give my vote to any other major or minor parties, no priest nor celebrities as my choice.

  • If I were as sensible as I should, I would vote the green party. I dislike their chairwoman as well (not as much as I used to though), but I have to admit that their contenders have earned my respect along the way.

  • There is an election database machine in the net (valmaskin/vaalikone). You may call it as a lottery machine as well. Anyway, I did my choices about the EU issues that were selected topics in the machine. Then it compared my results with all Finnish MEP candidates and gave me a list. The person number two i.e. which had the second best matching answers is my final choice. It was a True Finn.
I don't expect anyone to follow my decision. Maybe it's foolish to talk about your political orientation - in Finlad it's almost a taboo. Well, not for me, but I respect other practise too. It's interesting if any of my friends reveals his/her political view. I automatically take the other side! If someone takes the middle, I'll choose anything but middle. But I'm not that serious about it anyway. Hopefully no-one gets hurt while my making fun of politics...

I have voted maybe all parties by now. I'm not sure about Finland-Swedish, but nothing stops me doing that next time. Maybe. Like I said, I'm irresponsible when it comes to voting, LOL!

2 comments:

  1. here in sweden, i'm voting for the candidate from the left, Eva-Britt Svensson, not because she is a communist but because in the last 5 yrs of being in the EU parliament, she has been donating a huge proportion of her salary to various good causes. we need more politicians like that who are disinterested with personal economic gains.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a very good point if you ask me!

    ReplyDelete