Bowing to 747

This is such a stupid case that it's a natural source for my post at hand. I'm sure everyone agrees.

It was less than ten years ago, when we got a notification that after an accurate re-calculation our yard is sized only 747 square-meters. When we bought it, the size was 750 m². It had been that way ever since the yard had been zoned.

I got a bit mad. How come we lost 3 m² suddenly - we already had the smallest yard around (no Freudian slip remarks please, LOL!). One of our landmarks had slightly collapsed, like the tower of Pisa. My first thought was that it had caused the miscalculation error, because it was leaning towards our house. Well, that could the reason, but the authorities claimed that it was just due to the new advanced technology which made it possible to be more accurate than ever. Go figure.

I swallowed it, what else could I have done? But the information of our newly calculated yard-size hadn't reached the tax officials. When we got a yearly property tax payment, it still referred the yard size to 750 square-meters, and the cost was counted accordingly. Shit, that pissed me off!

As I have not always been fast in my moves, I made a reclamation of it only this year - almost ten years overdo! The claim to correct the fees we had paid already could extend no more than five years back. That pissed me off too. I did my thing anyway.

Well, I got a reply yesterday. Our records had been set straight. The only problem was that it was so little money in question that we will get nothing back. It was only around 10 cents per person per year to receive, and the lowest amount money to return is 5 euros. Our refund totalled 0,94 €. Bad luck. Well, at least we won't be charged for anything more than we actually own. That was the main thing.

They must have had fun at the tax office at the expense of my reclamation. Ok, let's be happy that even they can sometimes have a smile on their face. In a way, it was a win-win situation. At least I'm not pissed off anymore. About that matter I mean, LOL!

2 comments:

  1. No matter how seemingly insignificant things are, standing by one's principle is something not so many people do nowadays and that is priceless! Cheers to your vigilance in rectifying the mistake of the Finnish tax office! They should give you a medal. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. At least the bills should be 10 cents smaller each from now on. That's me: saving 10 cents here, losing 40 euros there for a parking ticket. Economy is my thing.. NOT!

    ReplyDelete