Mad Donna - how big a star?

Such an enormous hassle about Madonna's concert in Finland. True, it's the first time she's performing here, and true, she's still big. But that big? Hell, no.

I used to like Madonna in 1985/86 and in 1989, but that's quite a long time ago. Since then her music's been more or less indifferent to me. I still admire her though. It takes a lot to stay on top year after year. A lot of vitamins, if you asked Hulk Hogan, LOL!

They are going to arrange a custom-made festival area for Madonna's show in Helsinki. 80000 people fit in there but not all of them are going to catch a glimpse of her. Unless they see her on a big screen, but is that the same thing as seeing someone live?

As almost expected, the web servers went down during ticket-buying rush hours. Suddenly people wanted to see Madonna live. Even those who didn't really care for her music. For some people it's a way of showing your status to be there. Just to be able to say you were there. I guess that happened already in Woodstock too...

Indeed, I remember when I was watching Eric Clapton's show in Helsinki, there was a pair of guys sitting right in front of me, talking about this and that, not paying attention to what was going on on stage. And it happened when Clapton was playing one of the most brilliant guitar solos I have ever heard. Felt like kicking their teeth in. I heard them later talking, saying 'it wasn't that impressive to see Clapton, but it was alright'. I bet they didn't pay for their tickets themselves.

I wonder why people feel obliged to see Madonna just because she's coming here. I don't understand. Of course she will give a total money's worth performance, but still. Well, maybe the extraordinary place for the show plays some part too. For me, it would take much more important artist for me to play in Helsinki that forced me to go there these days. Can't think of many of them.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous15/2/09 09:19

    People want to say they have seen her. I think she's utterly pathetic and I'm not going to put a cent in her pocket. It's women like her who influence society to only value women for their youth and beauty. Now, I'm not saying she has to look like an old hag, but if she could embrace her age, stop gyrating on young men and put on some pants, that would be a start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true... and I don't personally like to watch her dance and do aerobics while singing. It will always affect her singing. Well, maybe that's a good excuse for her, since Madonna isn't THAT good a singer in the first place.

    ReplyDelete