American Gladiators vs. Kinniku Banzuke

It's nice to have Gladiators back. In the 80's, we had a Finnish Gladiators TV show which I liked very much. Nowadays we can watch the return of the original series also in Finland. Yes!

What makes the Gladiators even funnier, is to see old Hulk Hogan hosting the show (with Muhammad Ali's daughter). I remember watching WWF wrestling in the 80's and early 90's. Hulkster was one of the biggest stars there, being a multiple champion. It's somewhat amazing that he can still function, after all those hits and misses. But he's an icon, can't deny that.

I like to see those athletes fight and bluster. Roar and shout. It's quite entertaining actually. Almost makes me want to work out myself. Almost. What bugs me is the über-American talk about being able to accomplish anything if putting your mind to it, i.e. American dream. It's not true to anyone. Another thing that annoys me is when contenders preach about God or thank their family members for their success. These family values must be a bigger thing in the States than elsewhere, I don't know, but constant bringing them up is unnecessary to me. The show should concentrate more on the sports than talks.

The referee is a clown. Well, why not do it as long as the pay is good..? "Is the contender ready? Gladiator ready?" Just put your lips together and blow, goddammit, LOL! Some all gladiators have been eating more than just protein and vitamins that Hulk used to advertise. The man himself has also been pumping more than iron during his career, but nevermind that.

One episode in particular troubled me. There was a one-legged guy with a leg prosthesis and he was a champion of some sports already. He did fine and I respect him alright, but... in the last sports he didn't manage to climb the moving conveyer which is understandable. But they stopped it moving and there was only a second-lasting clip about his climbing shown to the public. Well, I was fast enough to see it not moving and that was a fraud in my eyes. Because after he finished his race, he was regarded as if he had made the track without easements. Anything seemed possible if you tried hard enough, once again. Like I said, all due respects to the man, but the competition wasn't equal to both competitors. Well, he lost to his partner so there's no room left for speculation.

Another interesting sports competition is a Japanese TV show, Banzuke. It's refreshing to see something else that differs from American entertainment. Actually, it's more about skills and muscle control than Gladiators which leans on power and endurance. The host looks funny, talks funny, but after a while you begin to like his witty introductions and appearance.

In Banzuke there are several skill-demanding sports. I'm quite new to follow it, but it seems that walking with hands is one of the most difficult sports there. It's not just walking; you have to walk uphill, downhill, on different types of material. I'd like to see any American try those too. Maybe Gladiators should visit Banzuke and vice versa?

Luckily I can watch them both! And enjoy the differences separate cultures have to offer. Bring it on, baby, bring it!

No comments:

Post a Comment