Known by many names

Mardi Gras, Shrove Tuesday, Pancake day, Carnival, Fasnacht Day, Fat Tuesday, Fettisdagen, laskiainen... whatever you call it, it's due tomorrow. Originally it was the last day before Lent which lasted till Easter. That's why people used to eat heavily that day. Also last Sunday is part of the festival.

Lent or no Lent, people still eat unhealthily on Mardi Gras. What is left of it in Finland, is the tradition of eating semlas ('semla' also in Swedish; funnily 'semla' means 'roll' (sämpylä) in Finland-Swedish. In swedish a 'roll' is 'fralla', and in Finland-Swedish 'semla' is 'fastlagsbulle' (also in some parts of Sweden). Confused? Good!).

There is no doubt about it where this bun has arrived in Finland from. That's why I can't place it under 'Finnish cuisine Delicacy' title. Here's however another picture taken by me, target been eaten by me. It was good while it lasted.

Another Carnival tradition in Finland is sliding downhill on a sleigh or a pulk. that's more like children's fun although sometimes parents may join them. I have tried to slide myself lately. My over-weight body almost crushed the whole pulk after a ramp! Also my back hurt a bit.

It was a pleasant weekend with a lot of snow. Didn't slide but did some cross-country skiing. Beautiful weather accompanied.

2 comments:

  1. And whikle on the way down, did you shout: 'Pitkiä pellavia!', which used to be shouted for the next season's crop to be more. And more. And more...

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I shouted 'pois alta!' (get out of the way!) LOL! I'm not THAT old to shout things like you mentioned. And I'm not from countryside. No seeds to grow etc.

    ReplyDelete