World Class Act Is Back And I'm Proud (of it)

The most refreshing news of the week was to hear that old champion Janne Ahonen does a comeback. Ski jump may not be a sport known to everyone around the world, but here in the Nordic and Central European countries it's very popular. Also North-America and Japan has had skillful jumpers. During each turn of the year they compete in Germany and Austria, which is an especially respected contest. Janne has won it 5 times - like no other has done so far.

Janne is already a legend, only to be outrun by another flying Finn, Matti Nykänen - a true legend in many ways per se. He's only 31, so it's not too late to come back for Janne. I believe he could still achieve something worth adding to his CV. I'm even confident about it.

Michael Jordan made a comeback after a break. So did Muhammad Ali several times actually. Even Swedish icon, Peter Forsberg, keeps doing it, although I'm not sure if he's ever retired yet - just been injured. I don't hesitate to admit that Foppa is probably the best ice-hockey player ever, but from Finland's perspective I'd rather not see him wearing a 'tre kronor' shirt ever again. The same applies to Mats Sundin, LOL!

To me, Mr. Ahonen is a world class athlete (in Sweden, it has to be 'världsklass'; otherwise it's nothing), like the names above. On the other hand, I respect people who make a decision to quit and never come back. But if someone has hunger for success left and the body is fit to it, why not do it? And, this is just my speculation, he might be a good 'father figure' for other members of our ski jump team, especially for a promising Harri Olli.

No comments:

Post a Comment