Times they are a-hardenin'

We are in recession in Finland, officially. That's how we call it (taantuma), although the term depression (lama) might be more appropriate. It may be so that the word 'lama' is still too painful for us to use; in the early 90's it was bad depression in Finland and we survived it with scars. Nokia's huge growth in the world helped some. However, they say that this time it'll be deeper and longer - and I think that people are not ready to accept it.

Last Autumn when the American banks went bankrupt, Finnish experts and politicians in particular said that we are prepared for this. We have a buffer to take care of nasty surprises of this kind. Buffer my ass! The economy is on its knees and most of the companies are firing people as much as they can. In fact, it feels like a good time to get rid of unwanted personnel. No one asks awkward questions. It's the recession you know.

Now good advice is gold's worth. Our prime minister Matti Vanhanen said that we must change the general retiring age from 63 back to 65. It should be done to avoid shortage of workers in near future. And to help us pay back the extra loan we must take now. Well well well, politicians may work effectively at 65, but not all the others. Let's give a politician, 65, a shovel in his/her hand and tell to dig a ditch 7,5 hours a day, 5 days a week. We can come back after a month to check how long and deep ditch the politician has dug. Just to see how much worth is a 65-year-old in physical work. Sure an old man/woman can press some buttons and move a mouse, but I guess not so many person in his/her 60's is even familiar with modern technology at the moment. Let alone they wanted to learn it. I'm sure Mr. Vanhanen himself could do physical work as well, but he's not anyone. Hell, he's 2 meters tall!

I have saved some money for my pension insurance trust (or something like that). It should give me a chance to retire at 60 and the insurance will give me money until I'm 63. Now, as the age limit may change, does it mean that I could retire not before than at 62 and get secured until 65? That is THE question. But the insurance company promised me I could retire at 60! Or... do they lower the amount of money they will give me? Either way, it sucks! I have a long way to get there still, but these things do matter to me.

Trade organizations have not been glad about Mr. Vanhanen's suggestion. As a matter of fact, they have even pointed out the possibility of general strike. I wonder what that would be like... It hasn't happened in Finland since 1956 and it's most unlikely to happen now, but who knows.

It was around the year 1980 when our biology teacher told his prophecy to us young students. He said: "Times are going to be hard on you, when we - the great post-war age-class - will retire. You are going to pay our pensions!" Harsh talk to teenagers, but times were different. Anyway, he was right already then. I have carried his truth with me all these years. It wasn't until the end of the 20th century that the first visionaires started to give comments like that. Hats off to my old teacher with weird sense of humor. I'm sure you are laughing by yourself now. Somewhere.

2 comments:

  1. First of all, the government follows the ecenomical trends and accepts this all-so-famous multi.libertal monetary system, which is now dragging everyone to this recession. Then they make the employees do the paying for this, not the people who are responsible. which mainly is the BIG stock-owners, governments and so on. I'm TOTALLY against such bullshit ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, politicians argue now what to do and critize and blame each other. If decicions are wrong, they keep blaming each other. If they are right, they try to take the credit for themselves. No matter what party is in question. Makes me sick, really.

    ReplyDelete