The Riddle

I'm back with the first grade math. It doesn't cease to amaze me. Yesterday I was helping out our daughter. Maybe I shouldn't, but these tasks do need extra help. I can't possibly expect any 7-year-old to manage alone with this kind of challenges.

Let's try with you! In her math book, items were two differently decorated Easter eggs, but I'm using plain x and y here.

X + Y = 15
Y - X = 3

X = ?
Y = ?

Like the triangle puzzle in my earlier post, kids are supposed to crack it by trying out different combinations. What does it teach? Not much. I couldn't tell our child that you have to use algebra knowledge to solve it. We had this kind of tasks maybe in the 9th grade or something. With two variables (x and y). It won't take long that I am no longer able to help her in mathematics, I'm afraid. Here's how it should have been done, without leaning on a lucky guess:

X + Y = 15
Y - X = 3

X + Y = 15
X = Y - 3

(Y - 3) + Y = 15
X = Y - 3

2Y = 18
X = Y - 3

Y = 9
X = 6

What would have happened, if our daughter had this kind of algebra calculation in her book? Would it have helped the teacher realize how complicated the task really is? Most likely I would have gotten a reminder not to confuse the young mind again...

Any comments on someone who's just as stupefied are welcomed by me. What I've read, Hairy isn't into math too much but does a great calculating from time to time, LOL! Mogli, was it like this when you were young(er)?

No comments:

Post a Comment