The cat's gone

Where is the cat? The cat's in the Moon. The cat's in the cradle. The cat's gone.

There is a district of Nokia called Haavisto. I live not so far away from it. I have heard rumours from wife that there is a man (let's assume it's a man) who hates cats so much that he even lures them into his yard and then catches them. He sends them to a lost-and-found office for animals. That's quite nasty of him. Of course loose cats are a problem to an extent, but this is almost cruelty to animals. And to cat-owners of the district.

Personally, I don't like cats. I prefer dogs. Cats scratch and will never be tamed. My wife hates them both and our daughter loves them both. The conclusion is that we don't have furry animals in our house. There are allergies involved too.


However, I kind of like those wild or loose cats walking around our yard, because they catch mice. At least they keep them away quite succesfully (That reminds me of having to set up mouse traps; it's a dirty job but someone's gotta do it).

Then again, I don't like cats killing birds, pheasants (fasaani) in particular which used to be widespread all around Haavisto and its neighborhood. Also one of the most sympathetic animals, hedgehogs, are a rarity around there these days. Hedgehogs eat snails; we'd welcome one anytime in our yard. Cats do love to piss and shit in the sand, which we have all around.

That being said, I still wouldn't harm a cat. None of us would. For weeks ago, we received a note saying that someone had lost their cat. The print-outs were in lamp-posts, basically everywhere. Then the former cat-owner must have gotten an angry, almost threatening letter, presumably from the kidnapper of the cat. The letter implies that the cat will be killed the next time it crosses their yard. Maybe the next time was at hand? If the execution has taken place already, what's the use of spreading leaflets? Shouldn't the police be notified?

Now we, along with other inhabitants, got a printout of the threat and information about other several similar cases. The note says that their cat had been searched everywhere, lost-and-found office included. Someone in there really doesn't like cats! Ok, I'll do the same to the mice, but those are not anyone's pets. I wouldn't lure them into our house just to kill them.

Indeed, I haven't seen any cat walking around our home lately. Someone has been efficient, I must admit. But that someone hasn't everything in order at his home. Beware of the catman!

No comments:

Post a Comment