Gay man's an island?

Yesterday I heard the news about Obama's intention to let gays enter the army too. In the US, things get cooking. Some of the gays may be delighted to get an equal share of fighting in wars, but I guess not all of them are happy (although gay). It has been a good excuse for many rock stars to pretend being gay, just not to get drafted. For many true gays who have stayed in the closet, being afraid of getting stamped as homosexual officially, this may bring some consolation. But does it in the end? If you're in gay troops, aren't you stamped 'gay' all over your forehead? I don't know much about the news, but this kind of thoughts started haunting me immediately.

If I have watched and understood American TV series correctly, also junkies and criminals are not allowed to enter fields of war. A criminal record gives a shelter. I don't quite understand this. Of course some schizoid mass murderer might do more harm on his/her own side, and couldn't be trusted. A junkie might endanger the whole group of soldiers somehow. The Dirty Dozen is fiction, but could it have a seed worth sowing? I still don't get it, why a 'decent' citizen should suffer the most.

The gays are 'decent' citizens, as long as I'm concerned, so basically I do agree with Obama. He's got balls big enough to say it aloud - especially after his Nobel peace prize victory. If he were assassinated, I'm afraid we'd face the same kind of deep emptiness that followed after Kennedy's murder. Let's hope it'll never happen. There won't be another Beatles to comfort us.

2 comments:

  1. Hi. I've seen your comments over on another blog (Hairy Swede).

    Gays are allowed in the US military. They aren't allowed to talk about it, nor are their superiors (or anyone else) allowed to ask them about it. Their sexuality being their own private business kind of thing. I have a friend who everyone knows is gay (lives with partner, etc.) and he's active duty. He doesn't go around broadcasting it, but it's not a secret either. I think the drive by the gay community at large is to make it so that gay military members can talk about it; however, I think they might be misrepresenting the vast majority of actual gays in the military who are pretty content with the status quo. They don't want other people in their private business. And, admitedly, their sexuality may cause some awkwardness in this particular sub-culture (the military). Something they'd rather avoid, as most are professionals and would rather the focus be on their career and achievements over their sexuality. Like everyone else.

    Just my two cents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two or three, who's counting? :) Thanks for clarification. It's true that it's nobody else's business what sex a person prefers. Maybe the only benefit would be that gay jokes weren't that told in front of closet-gays. But is it any better, if the jokes were told behind his back instead? Now I'm also questionning the change.

    ReplyDelete