Over(s)lap in my face(t)?

The company I work for was merged into a bigger company with two other companies last month. Yes, we are going for global world domination, LOL! Seriously, we got bigger threefold, which leads to some questions. It always does.

In an info session, we were notified that the fusion will not affect anyone. How come I knew that? After followed a number of merges in the newspapers, they have always told that it won't lead to any changes in the company. And after six months or so, they always tell us that of course we had to cut down overlapping resources and thus some of the personnel has to go. It happens every time. I can't see why it wouldn't occur with our case.

It's perfectly understandable that when three companies become one, there must be a lot of overlapping around. Rarely the management gets affected by it though. But this lying about it really pisses me off. Why do they pretend as the merge wouldn't affect anyone? Are they the only ones in the world who don't know the truth? Are they so pompous that they think they can make it, not giving room for reasoning, or a reason for that matter?

I think they are only buying time. The workers must keep working. It's easier to work under an illusion that there will be work for years to come. And a worker doesn't know if he/she's the one to go in the end. Personally, I'm expecting to hear from our management the sad, "unexpected" news not later than right after this Christmas. Then, I can write "What'd I say?", which is just about the only consolation I can think of right now.

2 comments:

  1. Yes you are right to suspect that sooner or later your company will "re-organize" as a result of the merge. Besides, three is a crowd as everyone knows. But then again, three can be wholesome as well. It depends of course on what branch of industry you are in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. IT-industry naturally is my field. I'm already warming up my tongue and lips for an I-told-you-so statement :)

    ReplyDelete