Here comes.... pea soup?

This may be of no interest to you, but it may amuse some still. Anyway, I'll keep it short.

The first sentence I spoke in Swedish was "Här kommer ärtsoppa". I had heard that "här kommer" means "here comes". Then, as a clever boy of eight or something like that, I discovered the word "ärtsoppa" in a pea soup can. It probably was a can, I'm not totally sure of it. I could read by then of course. I merely linked these two Swedish lines and came up with an immortal line mentioned above. It's not much of use to anyone, though.

My uncle heard me saying it. He readily admitted that it was genuine Swedish. It was my luck that those words in that line were pronounced as they were written, which is somewhat rare in Swedish. Man, I was proud. I could speak Swedish! Little things can be wonderful, when you're a boy. What happens to us when we grow up?

No comments:

Post a Comment