Je m'appelle Smek

Bonjour, everyone! It finally happened. I'm studying French! I have three lessons behind myself and who knows how many ahead.

It has been almost legendary with my French studies. More than 15 years ago I wanted to learn some French. The French night school courses in Tampere where I lived were always sold-out. Those days the Internet wasn't really in use as we know it, so I had to walk to the door of a high school to find it out. I didn't give up, so I borrowed a book in library and started to study myself. It didn't lead far from zero of course.

Years later I tried to join a night college or something, but I didn't find the right door in a strange place. I had recently moved to Nokia and the city was almost totally unknown to me. I was unemployed at the time, so I could have easily taught myself a new language.

This Autumn I felt like learning again. It's still not clear whether the course will go on any further, because the minimum amount of participants is eight, and there are only six of us. It's been great so far, although as the only male in the class I get too much unwanted attention. I wouldn't want to get to answer the teacher's questions as often as I have to. Somehow along the line I have got used to accept that I won't get any French education, so this feels quite weird at the moment. It's been clear from the start that this language is difficult. For me at least. This learning is more like pastime to me than a serious hobby. It never hurts to get more educated. Well, sometimes it does.

No comments:

Post a Comment