Flea market brain?

I have normally avoided such places as flea markets (kirppis/loppis). It's basically junk they try to sell there, with few exceptions of course. Well, these days I think differently.

My wife has hired a table in a flea market in Nokia several times. She has been selling old baby clothes mostly. They are very handy stuff because they seldom get so worn out. Children grow so fast when they are babies. That's why it's almost stupid to buy new stuff for them. And - yes, the green values ahoy - it's ecologically wise to recycle.

Well, my interest didn't reach the baby stuff selling, although I was glad to hear that we got some money back. The table costs 25 euros per week, which seems quite expensive to me. Since the stuff you sell can't be price-tagged with several digits, you have to sell a lot only to cover the table rent.

There's another angle to it: you get rid of old stuff and get room for new stuff. What would we need old baby clothes for? We're not planning to increase the family number of ours. Surely we have received and given plenty of material to our friends and relatives, but that's just a tip of an iceberg.

This time I got interested. I had a load of vinyls I didn't care for, some of them bought in Stockholm. Yes, I make mistakes too. Plus I had bought some collectors' items just to sell them later in my life. Now's the time, it seems. Records are much cheaper and in better condition in Stockholm compared to Finland. Well, based mostly on my Tampere area experience. Thus it's not a crime to sell them at a higher price. The travelling costs are not non-existent, you know. The sad thing of it is that the Finns, and the Nokia people in particular, are such a cheap people who'd buy nothing that isn't free. I have closed some deals there anyway, hoping to cover the rent for four weeks. Actually, the table is joint with my brother, but I'm in charge of everything this time.

Yes, you have a chance to join this flea market hype and visit my stand in Nokia! I'm not expecting anyone really to be there, but hypothetically it's possible now. You won't see me there either, because the owner of the market takes care of the charging. I only put my things on display (no laughing here). I have some CD's, DVD's, books and magazines there as well. Even some VHS's, for old-fashioned. They kind of fit to be close to vinyls, don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment