Don't beat anymore, the man's already dead!

At first I must confess that I have never been a fan of Michael Jackson. Then again, I have liked some of his songs up to a point. I have even purchased some of his records, though admitted because of his duets with Paul McCartney and Mick Jagger. It's not like me to pretend.

The first wave of repulsion met me right after the announcement of Jackson's death. I was still in total amazement how this could have happened, when the media started doing its thing. A lot of celebrities revealed us how they had always admired Michael Jackson and how genious he had been. Even those who actually never met the man were interviewed. Hell, including some Finns in local tabloids!

Ok, it's nice to be nice to the dead. But... where was the frontier of support when he was alive? These people interviewed kept their mouths shut. Maybe being afraid of getting their name dirty or something. Attached to alleged child abuse perhaps.

The second wave knocked me out. Autopsy reports were released, saying Michael was bald, skin and bones and full of needle marks. What gives anyone a right to release stuff like that? Now that those reports have been found to be untrue (no one tells to what extent), we keep on getting more and more of the same. In different packages, but still. I get this feeling that because he was somewhat easy to mock and hurt, the media feels they still have the right to treat him the way he has been treated ever since Thriller. That is, how they feel like.

Let's be fair and give the man some peace. Although he died at 50, he still managed to make a career worthy of several lifetimes. That's more than enough to make somebody to be not just anybody.

4 comments:

  1. I couldnt agree more. Well said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. The funeral was beautiful. It's weird that common people feel pity for the rich and famous, but some of them somehow interpret our inner feelings too well to ignore. Or something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto smek. the poor guy's dead and deserves some peace; everyone's all tied up in a knot with crazyiness. i think they are all stupid.

    btw, i was trying to email you, but got mailer demon...there a way to contact you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't have an anonymous email address before so I created it: smekthis@luukku.com

    It's for others to use in need of contacting me as well. Hope no spam bot reads this comment :)

    ReplyDelete