Talk about cheeses

Our daughter likes to read Nalle Puh, which is Winnie The Pooh in Finnish and Swedish. It's mostly wathching the pictures for her. It's alright with me, those characters are sympathetic and kind. No evil villains like for example in Aku Ankka's (Donald Duck/Kalle Anka) cartoons. As a matter of fact, I just cancelled the order of the duck because it doesn't seem to wake any interest in her. And I haven't been able to read it for ages. It's too daft for me.

Why I'm writing about Winnie The Pooh? The answer lies in the pictures. The comic book of this week has a cover that got my immediate attention. I got irritated. That doesn't take much, LOL! I made a blow-up of the detail where Piglet hangs cheese on a rope. The practical joke in itself has nothing to do with my post. It's the label "Edam" that aggravates me. It's so easy to see that the cheese in the picture is Emmentaler cheese, not Edam. Ok, those characters are not educated and can hardly read or write but still. And I was just in my previous post writing about how fairytale characters don't do this kind of faulty information sharing!

How about the educational side of Winnie The Pooh? Edam and Emmentaler are not the same. They taste very different. They also look very different (Edam in the right in the picture beside, for those who can't separate them). What is the IQ of the editors there? I just can't quit dissing editors - I have my personal reasons which I may even have blogged about sometimes before I moved back to Finland. The fact that "Emmental" wouldn't have fitted in the small room it was given can't be a believable reason. Neither that "Edam" is more familiar a name or brand to the children than "Emmental". Since it obviously looks like a piece of cheese, the tag is completely unnecessary there. It's not wise to fool children. Adults should have some responsibility. Even in the case of Nalle Puh!

4 comments:

  1. What my son and I loved about Finland were the Smurfi drinks - green, blue, colors we do not have for drinks in the USA. Are they still being sold?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they are. And our daughter likes them too. Among other sodas :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is a layout problem for the animator. If you write EMMENTALER instead, that's 6 more letters, and that will cover half the picture of the cheese. But I do agree with you that the label is a bit redundant and misleading to kids. It is like teaching them to say that all asians are chinese. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed. And kids are tomorrow's editors :)

    ReplyDelete